Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fall decor

 I decided I needed to finally take down Halloween, and since I refuse to put up Christmas until after Thanksgiving I needed that fall transition.
This month we have started a gratitude chain, daily as a family we will find a handful of things we are grateful for and add to the chain. It has been a great opportunity to try to help Oliver understand what gratitude means, yesterday he added nursery, friends, and then listed all of his aunts, uncles and cousins.
Tutorial for the felt wreath:
Supplies: 1/2 yard of felt, hot glue gun, wreath form (mine is a small foam one from the dollar store)
cut circles ranging from 3-4" diameter. Next fold circles into many different ways ex. fold in half then half again. I played with many different ways to fold so they wouldn't look so uniform. Next just hot glue folded circles onto wreath form
Cost ~$3.50
The "Thankful" frame is just some scrapbook paper with painted chipboard letters. I like that the chipboard letters are simple yet they give some dimension. This frame will stay on my table and I trade out the picture for every holiday.

 I think this wreath looks better in person, I don't love how it looks in a picture. But I also use this wreath all year long and trade out the embellishment. These are felt flowers. you first cut a circle and then cut the circle spiral like (does that make sense) and then roll up the cut circle into a rosette. I like when the circle isn't perfect, I add some curves as I cut the spiral. This way when you roll up the rosette it isn't all uniform. I added wire to the back of each rosette and then just stuck them into the wood wreath.
I'm kind of a cheap person, so when I decorate I try to use something as the 'base' and then build up/take down from there.
This guy isn't new, I made him last year. I think I saw this on Good Things Utah? but this is mostly paper cut into ~3" & 2" circles and folded to make the feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment